Big Book Anon Workshop: Step 04: 3. Resentment inventory: Page 67 questions (quotations)

Mistakes

Taking the Steps is an ongoing learning experience in which every action brings us a new awareness of ourselves. Even our mistakes offer great riches because they can lead to meaningful insights. How Al-Anon Works 43

We do not beat ourselves up for having made mistakes; we admit that we made them and do what we can to correct them. How Al-Anon Works 60

We are doing our best. We are human, and we will fall short of perfection. Instead of justifying our mistakes and creating new sources of guilt, we can simply admit to ourselves that we were wrong as soon as we realise it … How Al-Anon Works 61

Fear

I was crushed and defeated by the daily battering of living with an alcoholic. I was afraid of everything and everybody. ODAT 84

Blame

We may discover that we have blamed all our difficulties on the alcoholic and excused ourselves with rationalisations. Paths to Recovery 42

When I am pained by anything that happens outside of myself, it is not that thing which hurts me, but the way I think and feel about it. ODAT 7

Have I ever considered that the impulse to say something unkind comes from my own guilt and unease, which erupts in blows against others? ODAT 20

Nothing has the power to hurt my feelings and stir up unwholesome emotions in me unless I allow it. ODAT 21

Can I admit that my own irrational behaviour helped to create the mess? ODAT 70

No wonder the situation became an impasse, with the irresistible force, me, trying to move the immovable object, alcoholism. ODAT 72

Living with an alcoholic distorted my thinking in many ways, but particularly in one: I blamed all my problems on The Bottle. Now I am learning in Al-Anon to look squarely at each difficulty, not seeking whom to ‘blame’ but to discover how my attitude helped to create my problem or aggravate it. ODAT 78

My suffering could be the consequence of my own attitudes, actions, or neglects. ODAT 125

Character defects

The defences we learned served us well in alcoholic and other unhealthy situations, but now they keep us from living happily and serenely. We can acknowledge these defences without condemning ourselves for using them. Paths to Recovery 56

My second sponsor described the defects of character as ‘survival skills that no longer serve me’. This definition helps me stop being so hard on myself. It helps me understand that for most of my life these defects of character worked for my benefit. Paths to Recovery 67

When that character defect of being controlling is active in my life … I ask my Higher Power to help me. Reflections of Hope 10

Though working the programme, I have learnt that I can only work to know myself, and I can only uncover my own part in this family disease. Reflections of Hope 19

To take an accurate inventory, it helps to take into consideration all the relationships that have caused recurring conflicts. We ask ourselves questions to identify our part. Twelve Steps of S-Anon

S-Anon helped me find the clarity to ask myself whether this defect is really useful—particularly when it also brings up hurt humiliation, and guilt of my past. Even though my answer was usually ‘no’, I sometimes still hesitate to ask God to remove my shortcomings. S-Anon Twelve Steps 77

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. I’ve heard that saying a million times, yet I could never seem to make lemonade in my life sweet enough. As I worked my Fourth Step, I began to think of my character defects as lemons in their natural state—often useful even without adding sugar. Reflections of Hope 222

Doing the work

When I got honest with myself. I realised the truth was I didn’t really want to give up this one thing, I was using it as an excuse not to do the Fourth Step. Reflections of Hope 69

Comments