Step 03: Step Three Idea (quotations)

Drama

When we think back to our failed attempts to cope with sexaholism without help, do we really have anything to lose? Now we can let go of our dependence on the sexaholic, let go of our illusions of control over other people and outcomes, and, most important, let go of desperately trying to play G-d in our lives. S-Anon Twelve Steps 36

G-d is the Director

Most of us have learned the hard way that the only will worth pursuing, the only guidance worth praying for, is knowledge of the will of G-d. Only G-d knows what is best for all concerned. ODAT

We set aside our wilfulness and determination to be right and believe that our Higher Power, however we may define it, will guide us in the right direction. Paths to Recovery 29

Adopt the outline

Exactly how can we turn our will and lives over to G-d? We make a decision to conform to G-d’s will instead of our own. We are the only ones who can make that decisions. S-Anon Twelve Steps 37

‘Not my will but G-ds’ is the motto for Step 3. S-Anon Twelve Steps 37

Chief Initiative

When I say to myself that I am going to turn all my problems over to G-d, this does not give me leave to shirk my responsibilities. I have been given certain tools with which to run my life, and the free will to use them. ODAT 34

Eventually I learned that, while G-d watches over me and gives me guidance, direction, and inspiration, He does not do for me what I can and should do for myself. Paths to Recovery 168

The Problem is G-d’s To Solve

When I am desperate enough to ask for help, I will not expect it to come in the form of easy solutions. I must play a part in solving my problems, but my Higher Power will provide the guidance and the strength to take the right actions. ODAT 34

This Step is a challenge to each of us, personally. It suggests a decision: to Let Go and Let G-d take a hand in our affairs, which He can do only if we surrender our self-will and turn our lives over to His care. ODAT 169

Today I am so glad to have a patient G-d, so that when I finally say, ‘Not my will but Your will,’ G-d steps in and sorts things out in ways I never would have imagined. Paths to Recovery 240

We let go of the problem, the need to know what will happen and when, the obsession with other people’s choices, the thoughts and concerns that waste our time and energy because we cannot resolve them by ourselves. And we let G-d take care of them. Paths to Recovery 75

We often have to take one problem or person at a time and work on turning that one thing over to our Higher Power. Most often the alcoholic in our lives is the first person we first need to turn over … we can work on turning our desire to change the alcoholic over to G-d. Paths to Recovery 28

I also had to turn the problems of the people I was sponsoring over to their Higher Power. I did not have the power to solve their problems. Paths to Recovery 34

Stay close to G-d

Depending on our Higher Power can increase our independence from the opinions, needs, and demands of others. We need no longer look outside ourselves to other people for validation. Asking for help from a higher power is an admission that we cannot do it alone and gives us assurance that we are not alone. Paths to Recovery 28–29

I believe that G-d can help me handle my situation. Paths to Recovery 34

Putting my life in G-d's hands soothed me. Putting the alcoholic's life also in G-d's hands replaced panic and determination with peace and acceptance. Paths to Recovery 259

Prayer, then, is not the act of giving directions to G-d, but to ask to learn His will. ODAT 156

I will meditate and pray, and keep my mind open for the answers. ODAT

Prayer and meditation take many different forms, but they all have a common goal—to put us in better conscious touch with the G-d of our understanding. Paths to Recovery 62

Into Practice

Some members shorten the first three Steps to, ‘I can't. G-d can. I'll let him.’ Paths to Recovery 28

Once we turn a few of our problems over to the care of G-d, many of us feel a great sense of relief. Paths to Recovery 28

Remember that asking our Higher Power for help does not mean asking for specific results—that is asking G-d to execute I will! Turning our will and our lives over to G-d means that we put the outcome in G-d's hands. Paths to Recovery 29

In tough times when I need security, I can reach up and rub my right shoulder to feel His warmth. Paths to Recovery 32

How can I turn a situation over and let go of the results? ... What can I do when my loved ones make decisions I don't like? How can I let my loved ones find their own paths as I am finding mine? How can I express G-d's will in my actions and words towards others, including the alcoholic? Paths to Recovery 36–7

I began turning my life over 5 minutes at a time and watching G-d very carefully to see what happened. Paths to Recovery 34

I have changes because I learnt to focus on myself and put the Steps into practice. Reflections of Hope 331

The joy I now feel makes it all worthwhile, so I continue to do what has worked: diligently work the steps, get support though attending meetings, work closely with a sponsor and above all trust G-d. Reflections of Hope 321














Comments