Big Book Anon Workshop: Step 11 (quotations)

Spiritual Awakening

One definition of a spiritual awakening is the ability to do, feel, and believe, through God’s power, that which a person could not do before with his or her own power. Working the S-Anon Programme 28

Review of the day

Every night I reflect on the happenings of my day. From Survival to Recovery 260

Now, though prayer and meditation, I humbly ask for God’s will rather than my idea of the perfect outcome. Reflections of Hope 133

Relationship with the Higher Power throughout the day

Asking only for God’s will means surrendering our own. Paths to Recovery 113

How do we know what is God’s will? That’s easy—just get up every day, keep moving, and when you hit a wall, turn left! Paths to Recovery 116

Conscious contact is making myself deeply aware of God’s presence. Knowledge and power is when I stop giving directions and start listening for God’s will. Paths to Recovery 116

A prayer as simple as ‘Show me!’ can be used throughout the day in any situation where we desire help from a Higher Power. From Survival to Recovery 225

We had to learn that prayer was not lecturing God on what we expected or needed, but rather humbling ourselves to pray only for knowledge of God’s Will and realising we don’t always know what is best. From Survival to Recovery 226

In S-Anon we use two principal means of establishing conscious contact with G-d: prayer and meditation. S-Anon Twelve Steps 127

The regular practice of prayer and meditation rewards us with emotional balance, a sense of belonging and knowing that G-d watches lovingly over us. S-Anon Twelve Steps 129

Morning prayers may not provide all of the spiritual sustenance we need for the entire day any more than a mid-morning snack will satisfy all of our nutritional needs. We seek to make our Higher Power a constant companion, turning to the God of our understanding for guidance and spiritual nourishment throughout the day and night. How Al-Anon Works 90

Prayer and meditation

Though Step Eleven we let go of relying on a strictly analytical approach to problem solving. We learn to include our intuition and the wisdom and direction of our Higher Power. Reflections of Hope 137

To some, prayer is seen as a religious act of placing one’s hands together, getting on one’s knees, and talking to God. Others ask their sponsor … some begin with simple prayers … Reading the prayers found in Al-Anon literature opens the door for others … Writing letters to God works, too. We learn to pray from example and from others’ personal experience. Paths to Recovery 110

Many find it helpful to schedule a specific time at a set location to meditate … Trying for a few minutes at a time until we become more comfortable with the action … What is meditation? Al-Anon leaves that question open for each of us to answer in our own way. Drawing upon the experiences of other Al-Anon members can help us to find our own path. Paths to Recovery 111

We have found it helpful to practice Step Eleven regularly, remembering to say, ‘Thank you!’ for the blessings as well as ‘Help!’ for the challenges. From Survival to Recovery 225

Prayer is simply talking to G-d. It is personal communication much like a conversation with a trusted friend. S-Anon Twelve Steps 128

Those who have followed through with Step Eleven have found knowledge, experience and peace of mind praying not for what we wanted or felt we deserved, but for His will only. S-Anon Twelve Steps 128

To mediate is to ponder or to imagine. It is time for ourselves when we can be quiet with G-d and within self and be inspired towards new revelations. S-Anon Twelve Steps 128

Quiet attention in life’s moments brings me closer to G-d. Reflections of Hope 49

Prayer and meditation are the vehicles we use for spiritual communication. How Al-Anon Works 62

Prayer and meditation take many different forms, but they all have a common goal—to put us in better and conscious touch with the God of our understanding, the proven source of strength, love and hope in our lives. How Al-Anon Works 62

Bargaining with God is not real prayer, and asking Him for what I want, even good things, I’ve had to learn, is not the highest form of prayer. How Al-Anon Works 159

If we are living by the Al-Anon counsel First Things First, prayer and meditation come before all else, since it is in this way that we receive guidance for our decisions. ODAT 177

Its purpose (meditation) is to deflect our minds from the problems we are experiencing, to raise our thoughts above the grievances and discontent that colour our thinking. ODAT 291

Sought

‘Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God …’ This gives me the assurance that my conscious contact with Him depends entirely on me, on my desire for it. ODAT 312

Most of us have learned the hard way that the only will worth pursuing, the only guidance worth praying for, is knowledge of the will of God. Only God knows what is best for all concerned. How Al-Anon Works 62

By seeking only the knowledge of God’s will for us and the power to carry that out, we make great strides towards developing an unshakeable inner peace and a sense of security that cannot be threatened by mere circumstances. How Al-Anon Works 80

Starting the day

I woke up resentful about being alive, not wanting to do anything. I started saying short prayers that my Sponsor suggested. I read spiritual materials and tried to listen to my Higher Power … I was so surprised when an hour or so of such endeavours completely changed my attitude! I felt happy and ready to tackle the day. Even deciding what to do first came easier! … I began to follow this sequence every day. Invariably I experienced a change of attitude. Paths to Recovery 114–5

I find it best when I start my day coming to my Higher Power as I am. Reflections of Hope 45

Our physical bodies require rest, exercise, a nutritious diet, and appropriate medical care, and all of these are areas that merit conscientious planning. How Al-Anon Works 88

Making a decision

When I tried to learn how to make decisions based on facts, I found out how to trust the facts to my intuition without losing my power to impulses and fear. Paths to Recovery 126

Taking time from the most hectic schedule to relax, breathe, focus, and listen can yield serenity and peace for any decision we face. From Survival to Recovery 225

Comments