Big Book Anon Workshop: Step Twelve: Carrying the message (quotations)

Carrying the message


This ‘carrying the message’ requires constant awareness of a possible need: perhaps a neighbour or someone we meet casually who indicates that he or she is living with such a problem. ODAT 335

We try to carry the S-Anon message by sharing our experience, strength, and hope with others, and we have found our joy and gratitude growing when we see the attitudes of other women and men change from despair to hope. Working the S-Anon Programme 28

Carrying the message is how we give to others what has so generously been given to us. Working the S-Anon Programme 97

We do not need many years of recovery or a gift for public speaking in order to carry the message. Working the S-Anon Programme 99

… finds a rewarding experience in carrying the message to others who want the help of S-Anon. S-Anon Twelve Steps 143

There are many ways to carry the message. The changes in our lives speak the loudest. S-Anon Twelve Steps 144

Being aware that we have spiritually changed, we are now ready to try to carry the message to others. Paths to Recovery 120

Solutions

… to try to help them solve their problems spiritually. ODAT 195

We receive the precious gift of serenity by practising the Twelve Steps. S-Anon Twelve Steps 143

We see that, in order to keep the spiritual life and serenity we now have, we must make a practice of giving it away though words and actions. S-Anon Twelve Steps 151

When we freely share ourselves with others, we discover that it fills us with satisfaction. Paths to Recovery 120

Each time we make well-meaning mistakes, we learn from them and continue to grow. Paths to Recovery 121

Fortunately, I was so ill when I came into the programme that I immediately got involved with service so I wouldn’t have to think too much. The more I gave recovery away, the healthier I got. From Survival to Recovery 105

Many members share that they always seem to get back far more than they give in Al-Anon—sometimes just when they need it most. Paths to Recovery 121

Newcomers

The more I give, the more I get. ODAT 53

We profit by such giving; as we share with her what we have learned, our own thoughts are clarified by new insights. ODAT 206

Let me always be willing to lead a newcomer by the hand and bring to light the latent courage and confidence that exists in every one of us. ODAT 94

Sponsoring a new member challenges us to continue working our own programme; working with newcomers who are in pain reminds us of how far we have come and, possibly, of how far we may have to travel. Paths to Recovery 120

Sponsors

Being a sponsor is a great adventure. It is more than that—it is a great education in human relations and in spiritual growth …the sponsor often gains even more than the sponsored! ODAT 349

In S-Anon, a sponsor is simply a person in the programme who can help us work the Steps by sharing how they have worked or are working the Steps in their own lives. Sponsorship in S-Anon

The most important thing for me to remember in sponsorship … I just need to stick to sharing how the tools of the programme have helped me solve my own problems. Reflections of Hope 100

Sponsoring others has taken me to the nest level of my recovery. Reflections of Hope 304

Everything that has happened to me is useful when I sponsor others. The unconditional love Al-Anon gave me so freely has allowed me to extend it to others … From Survival to Recovery 196

Comments